Wednesday, February 29, 2012

State Senator Greg Goggins (R-Douglas) to retire, not run for re-election

The Blackshear Times:

State Senator Dr. Greg Goggans today announced he will not seek re-election for the Seventh Senatorial District seat. Senator Goggans is presently serving his fourth term.

"It was a difficult decision to make," said Goggans, who has served South Georgia causes in the state legislature for the past eight years.

Goggans said in his statement he "believes it is time to return my attention to my expanding orthodontic practice I share with business partner," Dr. Dana Fender.

After his current term is completed, he plans to return to join Dr. Fender full time in their orthodontics practices.


“My business partner, Dr. Dana Fender and I, have been extremely blessed in our orthodontic practice. Dr. Fender has always been very supportive of me serving in the Georgia State Senate. Every year he graciously allows me to be away from the practice for three to four months while the Georgia Legislature is in session.

“We opened our fourth orthodontic office in September of last year. The growing demands of our practice convinced me I need to devote more time to the business and patient care.

“It has been a tremendous honor and privilege to have had the opportunity to serve the people of the Seventh Senatorial District. This has given me the opportunity to meet, to serve and to work with so many wonderful people. I would like to say ‘thank you’ to everyone for their friendship and support. It has been a very rewarding and humbling experience.”

Goggans says he decided to announce his decision now so potential candidates will have time to prepare for the election.

“Others have begun to announce their decisions not to seek re-election and more will follow as the session comes to a close within the next six weeks.

“For me it is about the people of my district. Qualifying takes place in about 90 days. I could wait until the last minute and announce my decision not to seek re-election, but that would leave the people of my district scrambling to find candidates to run. By giving three months’ notice it will give people time to really think about what it takes to serve your district as a state senator before qualifying.

“This is a very important decision for someone running in the Seventh Senatorial District. It is the largest district in the state covering 4,500 square miles. To serve this district requires a tremendous amount of time away from family and from business. It requires a lot of travel. The expenses are beyond what the $17,000 a year salary covers.

“By announcing my decision now, it will give potential candidates the time to discuss this important decision with their families and to examine their abilities to make it work.

**Kudos to Senator Goggins for making this decision right now instead of doing like Richard Royal (R-Camilla) did in 2006 when he waited until the last day to announce he was retiring & basically had former Camilla Mayor Jay Powell win that seat unopposed.

No comments:

These Democratic Women Are Rising Stars and Their Futures are Bright

  Former State Senator and potential '26 gubernatorial candidate Jen Jordan Tift County Board of Education member Pat McKinnon State Rep...